Latest posts by Dan (see all)
How to start your own website blog in minutes
One of the largest most well know blogging platform’s is called WordPress.
WordPress is simple to install, in fact most hosts have a simple one click solutions for installing WordPress. Once installed you can create blog posts right away and have your own website up and running in a matter of minutes, and not only a simple blog, but WordPress allows you to create a variety of stunning websites thanks to the various themes and plugins which are readily available and super easy to use.
First Things First – What You Need To Start Your Own Website
There are TWO things you need to be able to create a website:
- A Domain Name [eg YourSite.com]
- Hosting [the place you will use to store your files and website so it can show live in the net]
All or most hosting companies can also register your domain name for you, so to make things super simple and save you heap of time comparing prices plans and other technical details I recommend is Bluehost. In fact Buehost is the only company officially recommended by WordPress. I have used Bluehost for over ten years and also tried several other companies and Bluehost is the best maintained and best with customer support. You can get a hosting plan at Bluehost for just $3.95 per month. If you sign up through this link on the 36 month plan you can get a domain name included for free.
Setting up your hosting account is easy and if you go with Bluehost you can follow my simple steps below:
- Choose a domain name you want to use (this will be the www. name people type to find your website, you can use your own name or any name you like if it is still available and you can choose, dot com, or dot net, or dot co.uk etc, but note once you register this domain it is yours and you can not change it – unless you buy another domain name instead)
- If you already have an existing domain name you want to use you will also have an option to enter that in this step but you will need to make some DNS settings changes (Domain Name Server), but you don’t need to worry about that id you are registering a NEW domain name.
- next fill out your personal information for your account
- then choose which hosting package suits your budget. Normal, shared hosting is priced at 12, 24 and 36-month terms. To help save you money, I recommend the 36 month term which is how you can get the $3.95/month price we mentioned.
- There are some extra add-ons or upsells available to you such as site back up and Search engine visibility, click to the link they provide for more information if you like, but the only one I recommend you also take is the Domain WHOIS ‘Privacy’ option. This keeps your details of registration out of public view and helps prevent spam and annoying sales calls etc.
- Next is enter your billing information (credit card or paypal) and click next and your finished.
Now To Install WordPress – Don’t Worry This Is Made Easy With Bluehost
Once your hosting is set up you will be given your cpanel login.
- Login ti canel and lscroll down, ook for ‘MOJO Marketplace’, once you are there click on ‘One Click Installs’ and on the next screen simply click on the WORDPRESS icon.
This will open another window. Click on the green “Start” button that will start the WordPress installation process, which has a few easy steps.
- Choose where you want to install WordPress. This can be any domain on your account (so if you only have one domain it will be there , if you have several domain names on your shared hosting you wil choose which one you want to install on), or a subdomain or a folder for one of your domains. Next, click on “Check Domain,” which will make sure the domain and your account settings are correct. You may get a warning that you are overwriting files, but as long as you don’t have another website built yet, you can check the box and continue.
- Next you will see “Show Advanced Options” , here you can set up your own username and password for this WordPress installation. For better security change the username to something other than ‘admin’. Make sure that the “Automatically create a new database for this installation” box is checked so you wont have to create a database manually.
- You can now click install (once you have read to the terms and conditions).
You’ll see the progress page next which will show you how far along the installation is. Once the install is complete, it will provide you with your site URL, the admin login URL (URL for log-in YOURSITEDOMAIN/wp-admin), your username, and password will also be shown to you here one time and this will also be sent to you via email.
Now you can log into your WordPress dashboard and start Blogging !
There are plenty of tutorials on using wordpress available on youtube and elsewhere online.
REMEBER: If you sign up with Bluehost through this tutorial, you’ll receive a special discount offer on shared hosting at just $3.95/month for 36 months, as well as a free domain name for a year, so that will help keep your costs to a minimum when starting your new online blog. Happy Blogging !